Canada USA
  • English
  • Français
  • 日本語
  • 中文
  • 한국어
  • Русский
Work in Canada

While studying at a postsecondary institution in Canada, you may have the option of working. This enables you to obtain Canadian work experience and generate income while you are studying.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is the department responsible for immigration to Canada and for issuing study permits and student work permits.

You do not require a work permit to work on-campus at your postsecondary institution if you:

However, you will require a work permit to work off-campus or to work as a co-op student or intern..

Consult Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Web site to learn about requirements and determine your eligibility for:


Some postsecondary institutions offer co-op or internship work opportunities to students. This is an ideal option to get work experience directly linked to your program of study.

For information on these opportunities, communicate with the international office at your postsecondary institution and determine your eligibility on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Web site.

International Education Guides